David Kriss, after being associated with Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, and Bear Marks & Upham, formed the Law Offices of David Kriss in 1990, to provide high quality real estate legal counsel to a select group of clients. In 2002, Jerry Feuerstein became a partner and Kriss & Feuerstein LLP was formed. Since the formation of the firm, the partnership has grown into a highly successful boutique real estate firm specializing in real estate transactions and lending of all types, as well as real estate litigation and related bankruptcy.
As lead counsel, Mr. Kriss has spearheaded numerous high profile transactions such as the purchase and financing of Union Station in Washington, DC, 700 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, IL, Faneuil Hall Market Place in Boston, MA, and 650 Madison Avenue in New York City. Additionally, Mr. Kriss has handled hundreds of other acquisitions, financings and leasing of shopping centers, office buildings, industrial and residential properties in major urban markets throughout the United States.
In addition to his acquisitions and development practice, Mr. Kriss represents numerous real estate lenders in commercial and residential lending transactions. Having come through three turbulent economic cycles over the past 35 years, he has considerable experience in workouts, foreclosure and bankruptcy. Drawing on his extensive experience and training in all types of real estate transactions, Mr. Kriss has made Kriss & Feuerstein LLP an attractive firm for clients seeking sophisticated representation in complex legal matters in a smaller firm environment.
Mr. Kriss resides with his family in Larchmont, NY where he has served for many years as the Chairman of the Village Zoning Board. He also serves on the Executive Board of the AIPAC Real Estate Council and participates and supports various charitable organizations.
Areas of Practice
- Acquisitions and Sales
- Commercial Lending
- Residential Lending
- Securitized Lending
- Joint Ventures
- Mezzanine Financing and Preferred Equity
- Foreclosure and real estate related bankruptcy
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. – 1981
- Assistant to the Dean
- Law Review: American University Law Review, Editor
- George Washington University
- B.A. (MagnaCum Laude) – 1978
Honors and Awards
- Kriss is rated AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 by Martindale
Professional Associations and Memberships
- “Judicial Review for the FAA: An Additional Safeguard for Aviation Safety,”, 29 American University Law Review 713, 1980
Some of Mr. Kriss’ recent significant representations include:
- Acquisition and financing of a 326,000 square foot office building at 619 West 54th Street, New York, NY.
- Acquisition and financing of Harborplace Mall, Baltimore, MD, a 100 store plus mall on Baltimore Harbor.
- Acquisition and financing of Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, MA, an iconic mall in the center of Boston.
- Sale of One Faneuil Hall Square, a 10 story office building adjacent to Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
- Acquisition and financing of Village of Cross Keys, Baltimore, MD.
- Acquisition and financing of the Shops at the Bravern Shopping Mall, Bellevue, WA.
- Successful restructuring of mortgage loan on Memphis, TN shopping center with servicer for CMBS pool.
- Acquisition of office building and retail space at 635 Madison Avenue, New York, NY.
- Purchase of mid-town Manhattan land for future hotel development.
- $60,000,000 Refinance of mid-town New York Doubletree Hotel property with Wells Fargo.
- Sale of shopping center in Okee, Florida.
- Sale of shopping center in Plano, Texas.
- $100,000,000 refinance of Barneys retail condominium unit in New York, NY with Citibank, N.A.
- $50,000,000 Refinance of 25 East Oak Street with Goldman Sachs.
- Foreclosure of two Long Island office buildings.
- Rendering of numerous opinions with respect to the enforceability of New York law for the benefit of UBS, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Well Fargo, Bank of America, RBS and a variety of other lenders in securitized loan transactions.
- Representation of private equity lender in numerous bridge and construction loans.
- Representation of landlords in numerous office and retail leases.
- Representation of clients in numerous purchases and sales of retail, residential and office properties in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Texas and other states.