Mr. Hoberman is a highly innovative transactional lawyer specializing in complex real estate and investment ventures in New York City and throughout the United States with particular emphasis on large commercial acquisitions, sales and financings. He counsels clients in the formation, syndication, acquisition, financing, development, sale and leasing of all real estate asset classes. Mr. Hoberman has over 16 years of experience in negotiating joint ventures, tenancies in common and other strategic partnerships for real estate owners and investors. Mr. Hoberman also counsels his clients on loan acquisitions, sales and restructurings.
Mr. Hoberman is a dynamic negotiator and clients relish Mr. Hoberman’s practical business approach to complicated transactions, his creativity in structuring transactions and especially his ability to move quickly to complete a deal.
Mr. Hoberman often represents prominent real estate families as well as institutional clients who have remained long term clients as a result of his deal making ability at a reasonable cost.
Mr. Hoberman has expertise in a broad array of transactions including single asset and portfolio real estate acquisitions and sales, sophisticated financing transactions including securitized mortgages, multi-tranche mezzanine loans and preferred equity transactions, office and retail leasing for both landlords and tenants and workouts on behalf of both lenders and borrowers.
Mr. Hoberman was selected by his peers as a New York Super Lawyer for excellence in Real Estate practice from 2014 through 2019.
Mr. Hoberman graduated from Binghamton University and from Brooklyn Law School. He resides in Westchester County, New York.
Some of Mr. Hoberman’s recent significant representations include:
- Sale of 275,000 square foot, 16 story office building in midtown New York City for a purchase price in excess of $120,000,000.00.
- Acquisition by investment group of 900,000 square foot midwest office tower valued in excess of $150,000,000.00 including negotiation of complicated joint venture with top national developer.
- Acquisition by investment fund of New York City west side office building for a purchase price in excess of $100,000.00.
- Joint Venture representation of real estate family in the acquisition of trophy office building in New York City valued in excess of $500,000,000.00.
- Joint Venture representation of real estate family in the acquisition of trophy office building in Illinois valued in excess of $300,000,000.00.
- Acquisition by investment group of 140,000 square foot Florida shopping center.
- Acquisition by real estate families of 18,000 square foot building in the heart of SoHo, New York City for a purchase price in excess of $32,000,000.00.
- Acquisition of 14,000 square foot mixed use prime SoHo, New York City building.
- Acquisition by investor of commercial retail cooperative unit in the NoMad area of New York City, a subsection of the Flatiron district.
- Sale of 44,000 square foot building with office and retail space in downtown Boston.
- Representation of Landlord in 30,000 square foot retail lease in Herald Square area.
- Representation of Borrower in refinance of five story flagship retail property in the NYC Meatpacking district with wall street lender.
- Sale of residential portfolio in Bridgeport, CT.
- Numerous leases representing landlord at prime New York City midtown buildings.
- Representation of auspicious restaurant tenant in numerous New York City locations.
Areas of Practice
- Structured and Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Joint Ventures
- Mezzanine Financing and Preferred Equity
- Residential Lending
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York, 1998
- Binghamton University, New York, 1995
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Division, Member